- Age Range:
- 9-15 (schools only)
- Project Length:
- 150 to 300 minutes
- No of Students:
- Team Activity (4-6 per team) Max students: 220
- Free to Non-Fee Paying Schools
Welcome to Making Knexions, your first question is bound to be what is it?
Making Knexions is:
- Exciting, fun, theme-led educational activities that support the UK STEM curriculum.
- A short term loan scheme of activity kits and equipment tailor made for each activity.
- A comprehensive Teachers Education Pack which is perfect for CPD.
- An activity that is ideal for developing a relationship with other schools.
- An easy way of involving students in a cross-curricular design and build activity.
- An activity that helps students work together, be supportive and to respect each other’s strengths.
Who Can Take Part?
Making Knexions is an exciting and useful free resource for primary and secondary schools.
Making Knexions is suitable for all school students aged 9-15, school year groups 5 to 10 or equivalent. It is an in-school half or full day activity. It is an ideal opportunity for older students (11-18) to mentor younger ones and for STEM Ambassadors to get involved. Use it as a feeder primary engagement to help students overcome some of the difficulties of the transitional period.
Students explore STEM through hands-on, cross-curricular design and build activities. It runs throughout the academic year so you can choose to hold the event at a time best for you. Further more, the programme can cater for up to 220 students in a single engagement. In other words a whole year group!
The programme uses K’Nex as the basic building tool. We supplement the kits with specially designed project build equipment, and in addition, include specialist engineering equipment such as multimeters. The challenge activities are themed around sustainable energy. In addition to the hands on building activities, students have worksheets to complete. We have taken great care to include maths in the secondary school projects!
How Do We Take Part?
Please remember that the kit loan scheme is a short term loan. Generally 3 – 7 days, occasionally we can extend the loan depending on the type of event and the time of the year.
Availability is limited, so please book early to avoid disappointment!
If your school is fee paying then you can still take advantage of the Making Knexions programme. We will simply ask you to cover the cost of the courier fees. In addition, if you are a youth group or home educator, then contact us and we can discuss the suitability of Making Knexions for your particular needs.